Sunday, August 4, 2013

An Idea

I was at work the other day when a story beginning came to me.

"Her feet were moving twice as fast as they ever had in all the hours she spent running over the years.  Warm breath pumped out between her lips in quick even puffs of white moisture.  The way ahead was deserted, at least for the moment.  She made a split second decision and rounded the corner of the tall concrete building next to her.  She could hear the drums up ahead.  Their beat rang in her ears.  For a second she wondered if the cadence was really just her heartbeat, but she knew better.  The crowds up ahead were coming into view now.  It was a sea of green.  She noted several small children on the shoulders of adults as they stretched their tiny hands forward to catch flying pieces of candy.  She knew she would need to try to blend into the masses. Her mind raced for ideas of how to do that with the bright orange that she was wearing.  She had forgotten today was a holiday, but it was the first lucky break she had had in a while."  

I would like to tell you that I know exactly what is happening in this girl's life...but I really don't.  I have gone through a few scenarios, but nothing feels quite right yet.  We will see.

Who's ready to ROCK the NaNo this year??

2 comments:

  1. Um, THAT was awesome. I want to know what she's running from.
    Now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm ready to rock it, but I'm just going to have to wing it again this year... I made it through all right doing it that way last year, so maybe I'm up for a two-peat.

    ReplyDelete