Thursday, October 15, 2009

Official (maybe)

So i go to get an inception on my car the other day b/c Texas law requires it. i was pretty sure my car wouldn't pass. that would be so like my car to ruin my life like that. so take it in 2 days before my IN plates are due to expire. the place i took it to looked a little shady, but i was short on time so i proceeded. the guy takes my keys gets in and literally peels out of the lot in front of me. he takes it out on the road and drives like 50 feet then backs up and does some other stuff. then floors it into the garage. i am sitting outside just starring, like "did that just happen before my vary eyes?" you think he would be a little more cautious with me there. but no. then he only pulls my car halfway into the garage. so i can see the back half of my car. all i can see is my car shaking really hard. not good, right? then i hear him put it in neutral and rev the engine really loud for like 20 seconds. i really thought he was going to break it. i was like "great! i may pass but my car will drive away broken." my car is delicate. i have to take care of it b/c i live so far from work. but it did pass and my car does work fine, for now. but i didn't like the way he treated it. (i cant wait til i buy a new car!!!)
So then the next day i go to get my new license. i am waiting in line and the lady behind me starts to talk to me and ask me lots questions. i tell her i am from IN and then she jumps right into her life story about how she is from PA and misses it, and everyone here is so different. she then proceeds to say, "isn't so weird how Texas people are so talkative and friendly? PA people just look at you like you are crazy if you even say hi. everyone just wants to tell you their life story." i found it ironic that she had just told me all about her life and then said that Texans were weird. but she was nice and i liked her.

When it was my turn i gave them all my stuff and had my pic taken (i got all hotted out just for my pic). In IN they give you the new license right there, but in TX they mail it to you. but you cant keep you old license so they give you a paper with a copy of your old license on it that is "official." so i sign everything and the guy then tells me that they revised the layout of the TX license and it is taking longer. then he looked up at me and said, "i am just being honest with you, but there was a glitch in the system and it is taking longer than expected. here is the estimated time you should get it...but don't expect it by then..." he told me to add on at least an extra 2 weeks from the date on the paper. so guess when i "should" be receiving my new Texas license? JANUARY!! yep. that's right. i am without a license for 2 1/2 months!!! i have this crap piece of paper that anyone could have made that says i am okay to drive my car. good thing i have a passport. i don't know if the airport will take that (for if i go home for Christmas.) but after the guy tells me all this he looks up at me again and says "Welcome to Texas!" with a big smile on his face. dumb.

Goodbye Indiana license. I will miss you. but not that nasty picture.

4 comments:

  1. I miss my Indiana license, too. :( And I'm sure you did look way hotted out for your TX one! Yeah, Utah does the whole "paper license" bit too. I definitely don't think the wait was as long as yours though! My goodness. That really would be a problem if you wanted to fly.

    It reminded me of how at BYU, the testing center would allow you to use a printed on paper version of your ID card to prove your identity and take a test, but intramural sports wouldn't. They're strict those intramural refs. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah! And the nerve of that guy to treat your car like that!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the life adventures of Al. How I wish I were there to complicate them!! :) You know it's always a trip when the two of us get going.

    Excuse me, we're together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your passport is just fine for going through the airport.

    Colorado does the paper license thing, too. Apparently it's cost effective, because they USED to give it to you on the spot.

    ReplyDelete