Thursday, January 12, 2012

A few suggestions

For those of you who know me very well, you know that reading a book is not my first form of entertainment. It never has been, but on occasion I come across a book suggestion from someone and I take them up on it.

In this first case, 'The Hunger Games', I saw a preview for the movie that comes out in March and was intrigued. I had heard good things about it, so I asked for the first book of the trilogy for Christmas. I was not disappointed. I started on this booked a few days ago and couldn't put it down, even though I have been sick, and have needed my sleep more than I wished for. It really is heart pumping and always on the verge of climax. I highly recommend. I wondered if when I finished this one, if I would rush out and buy the second to get started. But when the book was over all I could think was that I was exhausted. Mentally drained from the ever up-beat tempo. I will read book 2 and 3, but I am going to give it a minute. They leave a small cliffhanger to grasp your attention for the next one, but not one I am quite ready for yet. I have no doubt it will be just as action packed as the first. I will say that it can be a little bit graphic in terms of violence. Nothing too bad, but I mean the premise of the book is 24 kids go into an arena as a fight to the death and only one can survive. It was bound to have something a little violent in it. Just a warning.


This is another book I have been reading recently. 2 books in one month? I know, thats really a lot for me. And both were decent sized books. 400+ pages. Nothing to scoff at. Anyways, this book was really quite magical for me. It was recommended to me by my roommate's mom, Debby aka 'my Texas mom'. She has raved about it since I have lived here and I always thought i would pick it up sometime. So finally i did. I was ordering something from amazon.com and i needed it to be at least $25 to get free shipping, so i figured it was a perfect time to get the book. If i hated the book, I could just give it to Debby (who i later learned already has 3 copies) or give it away or something.

So this book was pretty magical for me. Why? Well I love love stories. You know I do. I wont pretend like they don't suck me in at first glance. Hence the reason I love Twilight so. And why from that series the first (Twilight) is my fav. I love watching them fall in love all over again. It is also the reason I am writing my own book...about two people falling in love. So this book 'Redeeming Love' tells you right in the title that its about love. We are already off to a good start. This book tells a fictional version that loosely tells the story of the book of Hosea from the Bible. This book was a little harder for me to get into at first. The beginning tells of this girl whose life is nothing short of miserable. And it made me kind of miserable too. But it definitely has its own redeeming qualities. It is one of those books that I wanted to scream at a few of the characters because they were simply either just pure evil, or so stupid they kept getting in their own way. And the book made me cry a few times. Nothing like at the end. The last paragraph of the book...yeah, i lost it. haha. I highly recommend you not reading the last paragraph before you get there (Amy, i know about you!!) But do as you please.

Happy Reading!!

1 comment:

  1. Well I've made a solemn vow to myself not to read the Hunger Games, but I will definitely check out the Redeeming Love one. Thanks for the tip, Al!!

    ReplyDelete