Monday, September 3, 2012

In case of a fire

When i was a kid my parents set in place a plan if there were to ever be a fire in our house.  It was a simple plan. I was young, therefore simplicity was key.

1. Get out of the house.
2. Go to our pre-arranged place to meet. (a certain neighbors house)

My parents went over this plan every now and then just to remind me.  It was a good idea.  I highly recommend to all parents who haven't previously set this plan in motion.  However I have been scared of house fires ever since.  I cant specifically say that this plan was the cause of it.  I am not sure why I am afraid of house fires, but alas, I am.  The thing that would keep me awake at night as a kid was not if i would make it out alive, or what if other members of my family couldn't get out, or what would i save if i could grab something on my way out. Although my mind wandered to those things on occasion.  What i worried about was what i was wearing.

Yeah, you heard me.  I was nervous about what i was wearing if there were a fire and i had to run out quickly.

Images danced across my mind of me standing across the street late at night, watching as my house went up in flames, neighbors coming outside to see it, fire truck lights illuminating my whole street, and me standing there in the most ridiculous pajamas, or lack there of.

It is something I have thought of often in my life.  Mostly because I don't really think pajamas are very flattering on me.  And I tend to get hot at night so the less layers I can put on at night the better I sleep.  What i am really trying to say is i don't usually sleep in much of the way of clothing.  Not that I sleep naked or anything.  You get what I am saying.  (and if you don't, then never mind lol)

But even to this days as i am trying to fall asleep, sometimes my mind wanders to what i am wearing under my covers and if there were a fire how much time i would have to put on more clothes.  Where said clothes are located and so forth.  As you can imagine this keeps me awake longer.  It makes me wonder if i have turned off the oven, if i have left anything in the bathroom plugged in that shouldn't be and so on and so forth.  It isnt usually plaguing enough to me to actually get out of bed, but sometimes i think..."maybe that is the Spirit quietly telling me to get up and check, or get up and put something different on." Sometimes i get up.  Usually i dont.  Because i dont really think it is the Spirit telling me that, it is just an irrational fear of mine.

Gotta love those fun, irrational fears that keep you up at night.  Sadly, i have many. :/

1 comment:

  1. Oh Al, you and pajamas! I sincerely, truly hope you are never in a house fire - and least of all because of what you will be wearing! :)

    ReplyDelete